Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Pursuit of Holiness - Chapters 1&2

Holiness is For You.

1. What major observations, illustrations, or questions come to mind?
     To be holy is to be without sin, 'separated to God' and acting as such. We tend to look at sin as something that we need to take care of, instead of focusing on God. It's kinda like riding my horse. When I'm on him and focusing on what he's doing wrong, I get really frustrated because I can't make him stop doing whatever he is doing. But when I simply focus on what I want him to do, the correction comes naturally, and he relaxes as he does what I want.
     It's also realizing the seriousness of sin against God. I (and I think our culture as a whole) tend to down-play sin since 'it's covered by grace'. But it's really a serious offence against God. If we viewed it as actually spitting in God's face every time we sin, how would our actions change?
    Sin is an act of willful disobedience. God hates it. As Christians, we have to grow to hate it too. There is no glossing it over or excusing it. God is pure, uniform, just. Disobedience is disobedience, no matter how small or 'insignificant'.

2. Look at the 3 reasons why we don't experience more personal holiness. Which applies most to your life? Can you think of any other reasons?
     - Our attitude toward sin is more self-centered than God-centered.
     - Living by faith requires no personal effort
     -We don't take sin seriously - I would say that this one applies most...in that I don't take it seriously enough to put God first in my day. I procrastinate. If I don't give it attention, it somehow disappears.

3. What do the following verses say about holiness and which is most meaningful?
  Exodus 15:11 His majesty comes from his Holiness
  Leviticus 19:1-2 'Be Holy, because I am Holy'
  Psalm 89:35 God swears by His Holiness, therefore it is unchanging
  Isaiah 57:15 God lives in a holy place, but also with those who are low in spirit; or lowly and contrite (with      those who are not proud)
  1 Peter 1:14-16 do not conform to the evil desires you had when you were in ignorance

4. What do these verses teach about God's holiness?
   Habakkuk 1:13 God can't condone evil.
  Zechariah 8:17  God hates evil being done against others.
  James 1:13 God can't tempt people to do wrong, that would go against being holy.

6. Write a definition of holiness in your own words.
    Holiness is focusing on God and deliberately choosing to walk like He does.
       It involves studying Him to learn who He is to better follow Him. It isn't just one part of the Christian 'package', it is Christianity. Christianity is all about following God and becoming like Christ.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment