Monday, April 28, 2014

Feeding the Steaks

We have a feedlot on the ranch I work on. We feed our own calves as well as calves from several customers.
These calves were all born last spring and will be ready to eat here in a couple weeks. In fact, some of you might grill part of one up here this summer.

We feed them a mixture of crushed corn, hay, silage, and wet distillers grain. Each ingredient is weighed into our feed truck which has four screws inside of it to mix up the feed.

My sister joined me last Saturday and kept my phone occupied while I loaded the ingredients :)



This is the view from the drivers seat...in the top mirror you can see all the happy steers that have already gotten feed, the bottom mirror shows the spout where the feed gets kicked out, and then there is the scale read-out so I know how much they are getting.


And looking forward, they are lining up for their breakfast!

Sunday, Caydee joined me. She wasn't too happy about being in the loader, so she had to be in my lap to feel safe :)

Then she wanted to sit on my lap in the feed truck, but there just wasn't room....

...but that didn't stop her from trying to get close!
A little after this pic, I turned a corner and she did end up on my seat, right behind me.
Then we compromised by having her lie on the floor right beside me. :)

Sunday was also a very sad day. I accidentally opened the spout door while the truck was mixing feed and didn't notice the feed coming out until I had this huge pile....

45 minutes later....
...and another 45 minutes later, it's all been cleaned up!

But that's life, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment